Re: Jessie (8.0) - Unexpected behavior of "MATE Terminal" after reboot

Richard writes:
> When in an arbitrary terminal of an arbitrary Desktop Environment, how
> would I determine which shell is in use?

To find out what shell is the login shell type

echo $SHELL

To find out what shell you are running type

echo $0

To run the Korn shell type

ksh

To kill the shell you are currenting using type

control-D

To clear bash command history on logout truncate ~.bash_history in
~.bash_logout.

Note that desktop environments do not respect Unix conventions and
standards so some of the above may not work as expected in some DEs.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com