Re: Testing/Unstable Synaptic broken again. <not><Solved><for><me>

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 11:10:21 -0700
Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/14/2016 01:10 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> > On 09/01/2016 08:51 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> >> The latest upgrades have broken Synaptic, unable to use Menus or
> >> right click and Search is affected too.
> >
> > Thank you upstream developing and packaging team for replacing the
> > effected packages. Yay!
> >
> > These packages have now been upgraded in Sid, 'gir1.2-gtk-3.0,
> > libgtk-3-0. libgtk-3-bin. libgtk-3-common' if you have been using
> > testing and where effected you can temp add Sid repos and upgrade
> > the effected packages, it will pull in a few more packages, but it
> > is fixed.

I have the latest of these, 3.21.6-1 in sid, upgraded today as usual.

> If you decide to upgrade those 4 packages to Sid, select all 4
> packages first and it will NOT pull in any extra packages and
> Synaptic will be fixed in KDE Plasma.
>
> In XFCE4 for sure "and possibly Gnome too" do above plus if you have
> 'gtk3-engines-xfce' installed remove it it's not needed in XFCE and
> Synaptic will be fixed. There's no reason for you to have a broken
> Synaptic.

I have no gtk3-engines- installed.

I still have a quickly dying Synaptic. I've just noticed that
gnome-terminal is filling the kernel log with masses of:

'<something> <somenumber> is drawn without a current allocation. This
should not happen.'

This seems to have been ongoing for a couple of months, and GTK3 is
strongly incriminated, RedHat being also affected, various reports
involving emacs and other GTK3 users. The death of my Synaptic produces
no log entries.

--
Joe