Re: libnss3, currently in testing

On Saturday 17 September 2016 10:34:17 claude juif wrote:

> > On Thursday 08 September 2016 19:02:31 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
wrote:

> > > https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
> > >
> > > Please contact the Debian LTS people, and if this fix is not
> > > already in the priority queue, you could offer to sponsor the work
> > > required or something.

> > > Gene, may I humbly suggest you should get a new box for
> > > non-Linux-CNC work, and keep that wheezy box you use for Linux-CNC
> > > off the grid so that it doesn't become a liability in the future?
> >
> > Liability?  Only if its destroyed on purpose by a malicious update.
> > I have a router with dd-wrt reflashed into it.  No back doors.  And
> > it stops _all_ the unfunny stuff. And according to the error message
> > I get when I run firefox-esr from a terminal, SSL is missing.  But
> > its not, FF just can't find it. IMO firefox-esr is a disaster
> > despite the hype.
> >
> > > You will be happier in the medium/long term after the investment
> > > in the new box pays itself off, Debian jessie should work much
> > > better overall for you for desktopish things (i.e. not Linux-CNC),
> > > and the rest of us will be happier even sooner because we will
> > > have less support requests related to oldstable to attend to[1]
> > > ;-)
> > >
> > > Paypal works just fine with firefox in a standard Debian 8.6
> > > install.
> > >
> > > [1] Any work done for stable and unstable/testing _usually_ helps
> > > a lot more people than work done for oldstable.
> >
> > I can appreciate that, but wheezy is supposed to have security
> > support until sometime in 2018, but this gradual destruction of a
> > formerly working system just to get folks to update smells an awful
> > lot like fedora, and that rebuild your system every 30 days got old,
> > very fast, so I bailed to mandrake all those years ago.  And now its
> > happening again.  All I want is a system that Just Works(TM) and now
> > it isn't.
>
> Fedora work just fine, and you don't need to rebuild anything every 30
> days. I use it for years now, because sometimes I want cutting edge
> packages.
>
> You want too much for free ...

I'll be 82 in 2 weeks, and on SS, so I watch my $.

> You just need to update your ssl library to be able to use paypal.  So
> : - You upgrade to jessie and use VM to run linux CNC stuff (or the
> opposite) - You pin libnss3 to stretch/unstable in apt preferences (it
> may or may not work)
>  - You grab the deb src and dpkg-buildpackage by yourself
>  - You wait until a fix is available
>
> 4 solutions comes to you, choose one and do it ! You don't need to be
> rude against people trying to help you.

I wasn't intending to be rude. My appologies if it came thru that way.

In the meantime I've made a rather astonshing (to me) discovery that the
original, never updated, google Chromium browser works just fine and is
3 or 5 times faster than firefox has been for several years. I did have
to confirm it was me to paypal since they had not previously seen me
trying to login using Chromium. After that confirmation, everything is
just ducky.

> > Sometime today I'll see if I can figure out how to install the real
> > mozilla firefox 48.something tarball.  Maybe even make it use the
> > new flashplayer.so, now at major version 23 something. I already
> > have them downloaded.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)