Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian" <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:09:12 PM
Subject: Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

> What is "unenlightening" to you may not be unenlightening to others;
> trust me on that. "garbage" is *your* value judgement;
>          No, I'm going to insist on my "garbage" denotation.  Since I have a very
>          acceptable way of going from one OS to another, your input on what os-prober
>          returned to me is of little interest to me, and much less to the other members
>          of this E-list, I'm sure.

You can insist on what you want. It is easy when only you know what the
the output is.
          <G>  I've seen error messages before.

>          an expert programmer, which I used to be but am not any more, could put those
>          few simple steps into a "first of all" window.  Maybe a simple grub file?

That's fine; it does what you want and will serve you well. Stick with
it. but forget about involving GRUB.
          But a flow chart to do it would be easy:
  Read input
     if input=L then
         do nothing
     else if input=W, then
         change boot method to Windows Boot Manager
     else
         return to read input
     fi
                Something like that could be easily implemented, methinks.  But I'm
                not going to do it.

>          Yes.  If I could move stuff from my Windows OS to my Jessie, and vice
>          versa, that would be a big help.  Any suggestions from anyone about that?
>          Linux used to be able to go into MS-DOS and put files there and get files
>          out of there.  Has anyone any information on that?

I rather think there is an answer in the response you quoted.
         I didn't see it.  Remind me.

>        xorg(or maybe it was x11), and my 'startx', from my old wheezy(fortunately
>        saved) worked, after I'd done a few tweeks to my .xinitrc.  I tried my
>        old beloved sawfish(now wmctl) but that didn't work as well as metacity.

Good. (Your technique is extraordinary but comments on it are outside
the scope of this thread).
         Thank you!  I would rather start off with a X-less tty1 and then enter X
         with my own choice of what to run, how the background looks, etc.  startx,
         with a good .xinit, does all I want.  Simplicity, dear my lord,
         makes computing yare.   <G>

> a username and password which got me, and keeps me, online . . . but only for the
> Windoze side.  I gotta do some exploring to see if I can make this work with Jessie.

I'm confident you are resourceful and will manage.
           <LOL>  I trust that your confidence in me is not misplaced.

Alan