Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

On Sunday 11 September 2016 20:51:50 Brian wrote:
> On Sun 11 Sep 2016 at 15:17:00 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:
> > On Sun 11 Sep 2016 at 11:13:45 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:
> > > Addendum:  during my Jessie install, the install program commented at
> > > one point: "There doesn't seem to be any other OS on your system".
> > > Jeez!!  I hope some maintainer reads this complaint and Debian  works
> > > hard to make sure that the
> >
> > What is the exact name and version of this OS which is not found?
> >        <LOL>  Windows 10.  If there is a more exact name, I don't know
> > it.
>
> Deconstruction of this statement follows:
>
>  I do not know. I am unable to extract information from any OS. But I am
>  really good at moaning about them. You will get no help from me, don't
>  bother me.
>
> > > operation of installing a second OS(Linux) on a Windoze box is as easy
> > > and error-proof as it is possible to make it.
> >
> > 1. As a user do
> >
> >      dpkg -l | grep grub
> >
> >    Please post the output of this command.
> >
> > 2. Suppose there are four packages listed. As root do
> >
> >      apt-get --reinstall install <package_name>
> >
> >    for each package
> >
> >    <package_name> is in the second column of the 'dpkg -l' output.
> >
> >    So, for example
> >
> >      apt-get --reinstall install grub-common
> >      apt-get --reinstall install grub-pc
> >      apt-get --reinstall install grub-pc-bin
> >      apt-get --reinstall install grub2-common
> >
> >    is what I would do on my machine. For the grub-pc reinstall please
> > post the lines which begin "Found ....." in the output.
> >
> > 3. As root run the command
> >
> >      os-prober
> >
> >    and post its output.
> >
> >          Why?  why all this?  What good will it do? to anyone?  To do
> > this I'd have to get out of this URL(mail.his.com), shut down my Windoze,
> > reboot to Jessie, copy the output you are requesting to a piece of paper,
> > and then get back here.(*)
>
> Deconstruction of this statement follows:
>
>   You are asking questions. Questions are awkward - you have to give
>   answers; I do not want to participate in giving answers. Just take
>   some notice of me and give me what I want without all this palaver.
>
> >          May I ask: are you the Debian installation maintainer?  if you
> > are, I'd be happy to work with you.
>
> Having chosen to post to debian-user you cannot even work with the
> process here. What chance would there be of a working relationship if
> you thought you were talking to the Debian Leader.
>
> > (*)  Many years ago, when I ran a dual boot machine of Linux and MS-DOS,
> > I used to be able to mount the MS-DOS partition from my Linux system, and
> > copy file to and from it. I'm going to try that, when next I (re)boot
> > into Jessie.
>
> Deconstruction of this statement follows:
>
>   Redirection. I've managed to avoid answering anything but I can still
>   go down fighting and introduce something irrelevant. Do I have to stew
>   in my own juice?

And to achieve all this rudeness he hijacked mudongliang's thread and as a
result mudongliang has still had no answers.  :-(  But I'm forgetting.
Nothing and no-one else matters compared with Alan. :-(

I'm off to try and answer mudongliang, but I fear that I can't because I don't
think I know the answer.  But at least it should revive his thread.

Lisi