Re: Installing a MINIMAL Mate Desktop How?

On 2016-09-11, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> "apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core" does not install
> marco, xorg, xterm, nor lightdm. My brute force diagnostic
> procedure was to install each of them in the order listed with a
> reboot in between to see if everything worked. It did not. After
> installing each of the 1st three I was left at the command line.
> After installing lightdm I was presented with a blank screen.

Well installing xorg without a display manager (lightdm in your case)
would take you to the console, from where you'd have to issue a "startx"
to get into the graphical environment I do believe. Rebooting each time
seems like a waste of time, unless you can explain what magical spell
that is supposed to cast upon the whole affair.

After installing lightdm you get a blank screen, so you're making
progress (perhaps a graphic card/driver issue lurking in there
somewhere).

--
“Whatever is rejected from the self, appears in the world as an event.”
C.G. Jung