Re: Using the result of equivs (dummy package for dependencies)

On 2016-09-11 at 11:13, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> So I've used the equivs-control and equivs-build commands from the
> equivs package to create a dummy package which has all the needed
> dependencies. My problem is I can't do anything with the created
> package -- I obviously can't dpkg -i it because dpkg just complains
> about the missing dependencies -- which was the point of creating the
> dummy package in the first place!
>
> Is there a way I can get aptitude to add this package to its
> knowledge base, and then let me install it as if it came from a
> debian repository?

You almost certainly want one or more of dpkg's '--force' options.

As a first attempt, try 'dpkg -i pkgname.deb --force-depends', or
similar. If that doesn't work, look through that section of the man page
and see what else you may find.

After it's installed, 'apt-get -f install' (or a comparable aptitude
command) should get you the missing dependencies, as intended.

--
   The Wanderer