Re: Installing a MINIMAL Mate Desktop How?

On 9/11/2016 9:14 AM, Brian wrote:
On Sun 11 Sep 2016 at 06:47:23 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

When Squeeze was the latest I was able to install without any desktop.
I would then do
    apt-get install gnome-session gdm3 gedit gnome-terminal gparted
The result was a nice uncluttered desktop to which I could add what *I*
needed rather than what the proverbial "everybody" should have ;)

gnome-session pulls in xserver-org-video-all and installs it on the
*same* machine. Graphical programs like gnome-terminal and gedit run on
the *same* machine as the X server runs on and will display an output
there. This is a very common situation but it does not have to be like
that.

An X server runs and produces an output on the machine you are sitting
in front of. Programs like gedit could be on a *different* machine. This
is just as valid a setup as the "common" one. It implies that such
things as, for example, window manager packages do not depend on an X
server being installed.

I think I follow the point you are trying to make.
Just to be clear, everything *I* do is on a standalone machine [a laptop].

According to http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#debian I should be able
to do
    apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core

That is not enough, it leaves me with only a command line.

You got what was promised - a minimal mate install. You need an X server
on that machine or another one if you want other than the command line.

Whether or not it qualifies as an "install" or not is a matter of definition/perspective. A few years ago I thinking about a possible Debian Pure Blend aimed at the bandwidth challenged - at the time I was on dialup. Someone suggested "Desert Island Swirl" as a working title. That would fit my perspective on how an installer should interact with a user. The user could be described as one person, with one computer and one stack of DVD's.

I have the full Mate desktop on one machine. Using Synaptic on that machine
and using apt-get install **** on the other I was able too identify some
missing pieces.

"apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core" does not install marco,
xorg, xterm, nor lightdm. My brute force diagnostic procedure was to install
each of them in the order listed with a reboot in between to see if
everything worked. It did not. After installing each of the 1st three I was
left at the command line. After installing lightdm I was presented with a
blank screen.

mate-desktop-environment-core depends on marco. There is something
seriously wrong if it was not installed.

Huumm I see another test install in my future as it is listed as such in the packages file for the DVD I installed from.

xorg isn't required to be on the same machine as mate; that is why it
was not installed. mate-terminal does the same job as xterm. The mate
maintainers might have decided not have a DM as a depended on or
recommended package.

While waiting for response(s) to my my post I installed marco, xorg, xterm, mate-terminal, mate-panel, mate-session-manager and lightdm.

I now have a workable, if ugly *MINIMAL* install. !!!! ;)
Now to find some decorative elements and chose the applications I want.