Re: Debian Jessie : regular console instead of a hi-res one!

On Mon 05 Sep 2016 at 11:58:25 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Mon 05 Sep 2016 at 21:31:20 (+0530), Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> > Is there any way to get a regular console under Debian Jessie?
> > I don't use a GUI, just plain old CLI, and working on hi-res with
> > "tiny" little fonts is extremely painful.
> > I have tried playing with "console-setup". No results.
>
> I have commands aliased thus in ~/.bashrc
>
> alias my-font-tiny="setfont Lat15-Terminus12x6"
> alias my-font-small="setfont Lat15-Terminus14"
> alias my-font-medium="setfont Lat15-Terminus20x10"
> alias my-font-large="setfont Lat15-Terminus24x12"
> alias my-font-huge="setfont Lat15-Terminus28x14"
> alias my-font-vast="setfont Lat15-Terminus32x16"

Every time I use the console (which is a lot) I appreciate the existence
of the Terminus font and could not do without it.

> $ cat /etc/default/console-setup
> # CONFIGURATION FILE FOR SETUPCON
>
> # Consult the console-setup(5) manual page.
>
> ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"
>
> CHARMAP="UTF-8"
>
> CODESET="Lat15"
> # Make no font changes to allow scrollback of boot screen
>
> VIDEOMODE=
>
> # The following is an example how to use a braille font
> # FONT='lat9w-08.psf.gz brl-8x8.psf'
> FONTFACE="Terminus"
> FONTSIZE="10x20"
> $
>
> That sets the default for logging in. Changing the font like this will
> clear the scrollback buffer (ie everything before the current screenfull)
> if you are someone who looks at booting messages.
>
> I think Terminus comes from package xfonts-terminus. If that's not the

console-setup-linux provides the .psf files. In all his "playing about"
I'm surprised the OP didn't test them with

  dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

> case then post again and I will investigate. (I have a lot of fonts
> installed for both VCs and X, which I do use.) Of course, you can use
> whatever set of fonts you want, but I find Terminus very clear.
> However, it's not well endowed for Unicode, so you may want something
> different.
>
> Those aliased commands set each VC independently BTW.

Thanks for the detail. Something to try in the future.