How to forcibly abort a command in a terminal window?

The problem occurred when using cp to copy contents of one partition to another. I realized I had miss-specified options. As data was multiple GB and target was a USB connected flash drive I wished an immediate termination.

Cntl-C had no apparent result.
Closing terminal window apparently did not abort operation - as indicated by activity light on flash drive continuing to blink.
Unmounting device worked.

It seems there should be a better option?
TIA