Re: Where does debconf database content come from?

On 2016-09-03 12:18 +0300, Yuri Kanivetsky wrote:

> For all I know, debconf database is supposed to store "answers" to
> configuration parameters of packages. But when you install operating
> system, you aren't given an opportunity to specify them. Not all of
> them at least.

That's because most of the questions have sensible default answers, and
by default you only see those which really need to be answered
(i.e. their priority is high or critical).

> So where do all of them come from? Does debian comes with default
> config.dat? Does it contain values for all the packages? For some
> predefined set of them? Which package owns it? Or generates?

They are all shipped in individual packages, see the
/var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates files.  The maintainer scripts take care
of installing them into the debconf database.

If you want to know more about debconf, install the debconf-doc package
and read debconf(7) and debconf-devel(7).

Cheers,
       Sven