Re: [jessie] how to file bug report against update that broke other packages?

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 4:44 PM, D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
> As of a few days ago the gscan2pdf program is no longer functioning properly
> in up-to-date jessie.

I think you need to debug the problem a bit more before reporting it
on any package.

What do you mean by "no longer functioning properly"? What is the
expected behavior and what is the current behavior? Is the problem
reproducible?

> The culprit seems to be one of the packages updated as part of the recent
> imagemagick security update. But I don't which of the updated files, or even
> which package, causes the problem (indeed, I am not 100% certain that it is
> the imagemagick update that is the source of the problem, but it sure looks
> very, very likely).
>
> So I am unsure how to proceed

For issues like this, you should keep track of the list of installed
packages before and after the upgrades. That makes it easier to debug
if something goes wrong. For example, you can use this shell script
https://gitlab.com/d3k2mk7/rutils/blob/master/bin/installed_packages.sh
which will store the list of packages in ~/logs directory with a
timestamp appended to the file name.

Sample run
% installed_packages.sh
stored the list of installed packages in
/home/rajulocal/logs/installed_packages_list_20160903_000640.txt

hope that helps
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog