Re: Security Updates

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:16:45 -0700
Larry Dighera <LDighera@att.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 13:28:21 +0000, "Andrew M.A. Cater"
><amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 06:04:34AM -0700, Larry Dighera wrote:

>>> Hello Andy,
>>>
>>> I thought I made it clear that the OS was Debian Jessie.  It was installed from
>>> the NOOBS release: <https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/>.  As you can
>>> see from this article
>>> <https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-jessie-is-here/>, Debian Jessie was
>>> released for the Raspberry Pi platform almost a year ago, September 2015.
>>>
>>> Have you any insight into how to overcome the ;public key not found; error
>>> message adding that security repository to the apt list, as stated on the
>>> Debian.org web site, may be resolved?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your response.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Larry
>>>

>>Hi Larry,
>>
>>That's Raspbian - NOOBS installs Raspbian.
>>
>>As Lisi Reisz has stated to you in another email: Raspbian handle their own security updates.
>>
>>If you want to add the keys to the Debian security updates repository you can use an apt-key add command and the key available from http://ftp-master.debian.org/keys.html
>>[The main archive signing key is also used to sign the security updates].
>>
>>Be aware that you might create problems for yourself.
>>
>>You may well want to look at the Debian Administrators handbook - you can try apt-get install debian-handbook if the package is also available for Raspbian.
>>
>>Hope this helps,
>>
>>Al the very best,
>>
>>AndyC
>>
>>[Copying to the list as this may be of more use more widely]
>

>Hello Andy,
>
>Have you even looked at the information here:
><https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-jessie-is-here/>?  After reading
>that announcement, how can you continue to insist that I am not running Debian
>Jessie?
>
>I appreciate your pointer to adding keys to the Debian security updates
>repository with apt-key add.  I will look into that, however if it were
>necessary for me to do that manually, I would have expected the
><https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/errata> page to have mentioned it
>explicitly.  Perhaps I expect too much...
>
>I find the stability of the Debian APT system to be one of the most valuable
>aspects of Debian Linux, compared to other less stable distributions I have
>encountered over the years.  So I am wary of doing anything to break it, even
>if it proffered on a Debian web page, as you cautioned.
>
>Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
>
>Best regards,
>Larry

/etc/apt/sources.list for Debian Jessie for the raspberry pi:
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ stable main contrib
non-free rpi

/etc/apt/sources.list for Debian Jessie:
deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie main

One glance tells me that my two computers are not running exactly the
same debian jessie.

- --
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914