Re: A minimalist network

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 06:53:22 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 8/17/2016 6:13 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 August 2016 22:14:24 Richard Owlett wrote:
> >> Why would I be interested in ssh as both machines are sitting on
> >> my desk and _neither_ will be connected to the internet when
> >> ethernet connection is live?
> >
> > You need to use something to move the files form one machine to
> > another, as has been said.
> >
> > Now that this list has kindly helped me learn how, I use ssh all
> > the time on my small home network; but I must admit I use it more
> > for admin than for moving files, though I also use it for moving
> > files.
>
> I hadn't looked up ssh, I *thought* I knew what it was for. I
> didn't ;/

It often comes in handy when a Linux computer stops responding to the
keyboard, it's something else to try before the Big Red Switch.

For a Windows machine, PuTTY is generally the ssh client of choice,
though there are others. For file transfer, WinSCP works with ssh,
FileZilla does also but I've never used it for that. PuTTY does
command-line file transfer, watch the \s and /s, I think XP is old
enough to pretend not to understand the /.

--
Joe