Re: A minimalist network

On 8/18/2016 4:13 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Thursday 18 August 2016 20:46:14 Charlie Kravetz wrote:

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:50:23 -0700

David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
On 08/18/2016 06:58 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 8/17/2016 8:07 PM, David Christensen wrote:
3.  Internet modem or gateway.

3. N/A

So, the laptops are not connected to the Internet?  How do you access
the Internet to post and read this list, download Debian ISO's, etc.?

David

Why do they have to be connected to the Internet? I have four computers
here. Three are not connected, one is.

So one of Richard's two has to be connected.

Not really ;)
As I had said in last paragraph of https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/08/msg00609.html : "Why would I be interested in ssh as both machines are sitting on my desk and _neither_ will be connected to the internet when ethernet connection is live?"

The sole purpose of the Ethernet connection is to avoid sneakernet when transferring small preseed.cfg and script files from the WinXP machine to my Debian experiment.