Re: iscsistart: TargetName not set.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The contents of initiatornam.iscsi is one line:

GenerateName=yes

iscsi.initramfs has the following contents:

ISCSI_TARGET_NAME="iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-412:iscsi.littlesister.c83a5e"
ISCSI_TARGET_IP="192.168.15.251"
ISCSI_TARGET_PORT="3260"
ISCSI_TARGET_GROUP="1"

I don't use any user authentication in the current setup since I want to minimize things that can go wrong. I also only use ip-addresses when I communicate with the NAS which acts as the iSCSI target.

Looking at the kernel parameters there is no mentioning of any ip settings. I have tried supplying static ip settings, initiatorname and target name as kernel parameters but to me it looked liked those settings where ignored. So based on that I guess that the initramfs in this case runs its own DHCP client and grabs its config from some other place then the kernel parameters.

I have also tried to set the target name via the dhcp root-path option, which is then written out on the console at boot time, but the result is still the same error message and a drop to the initrams shell.

Regards
Fredrik

Hi,

(writing this from my phone, so please pardon my bottom quote)

For reference: I co-maintain open-iscsi in Debian.

Could you provide the contents of the initiatorname.iscsi and iscsi.initramfs files in the initramfs verbatim? (Anonymizing users/passwords is OK of course.)

Also: did you specify the target as a host name or IP address? IIRC only IP addresses work for rootfs on iSCSI. (Not sure though and I am not in front of a computer to check.)

Furthermore: does the initramfs run its own DHCP client? Do you have ip=dhcp (or an equivalent static config) in your kernel command line args? (The installer should set this.)

Regards,
Christian