Re: Subject: Adding partition(s) to a Debian install pendrive

On Thu 18 Aug 2016 at 19:43:10 (+0200), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 18/08/2016 à 18:17, rhkramer@gmail.com a écrit :
> >Is there any way to add another partition after copying the the DVD-1 install
> >image to the pendrive?
>
> Sure. Just use any partitioning tool as long as it does not choke on
> the invalid layout of the partition table (the two partitions
> overlap and one overlaps the MBR).
>
> >I found subchapter 4.3. of the Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide: "Preparing
> >Files for USB Memory Stick Booting"
> >(https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/ch04s03.html.en) and tried to
> >follow some of the instructions--In section 4.3.1. Preparing a USB stick using
> >a hybrid CD or DVD image, I see:
> >
> ><quote>
> >The hybrid image on the stick does not occupy all the storage space, so it may
> >be worth considering using the free space to hold firmware files or packages or
> >any other files of your choice. This could be useful if you have only one stick
> >or just want to keep everything you need on one device.
>
> Did they really write this ? The last time I created an extra
> partition and tried to use it for such purpose, it didn't work. The
> installer just seemed to skip any partition on the same device as
> itself.

This may (or may not) be because it tries to mount the first partition
and finds it's busy (not surprising as it's the d-i itself) and
moves on to the next device rather than next partition.

It also seems to assume that subsequent devices are unpartitioned so
it tries /dev/sdX but not /dev/sdX1.

The good news with my laptop was that putting the firmware on an old
SD card out of a camera worked just fine. No good for the typical
desktop though.

> I had to manually mount the extra partition to some
> directory I don't remember (had to check into the installer logs
> /var/log/syslog) so that the installer eventually could find the
> firmware files on it.

I think /media is that place.

> >From the above, I inferred that I should be able to create a 2nd partition
> >after copying the DVD-1 image to the pendrive
>
> You mean a third one : the Debian installer ISO hybrid images, at
> least for i386 or amd64, already define two partitions : one for the
> ISO filesystem and one for the EFI boot.
>
> , but I tried quite a few
> >approaches (that I might describe in a follwup email if someone really wants
> >to know) and I'm beginning to believe it can't be done that way.
> >
> >And, that, instead, you have to follow the procedures in section 4.3.3.
> >"Manually copying files to the USB stick \u2014 the flexible way".
>
> This is a completely different approach.
>
> In any case, note that Windows or other OS's may not see more than
> one partition on a USB pendrive. I still wonder how it makes the
> differences with a USB disk.

Cheers,
David.