Re: A minimalist network

On 08/17/2016 07:45 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I wish to connect two laptops via Ethernet.
>
> The Debian machine is having various configurations of Jessie installed.
> Consider it a laboratory experiment. It can have multiple installs in a
> day. It intentionally has *NO* internet connectivity. It has a small
> partition set aside for preseed.cfg and miscellaneous scripts.
>
> The second machine is running WinXP Pro SP3 and serves as source of
> preseed and script files.
>
> My internet searches turn up too much outdated information and/or fine
> detail. Most link assume a server with multiple clients. Better
> description would be a peer to peer setup. It may be convenient to have
> the Windows machine act as a terminal for the Debian machine.

It would help if you provided more information about your network and
computers:

1.  Laptop make, model, and version, CPU make and model, RAM size,
HDD/SSD size, and Ethernet speed of Windows laptop.

2.  Experimental laptop and key parameters (as above).

3.  Internet modem or gateway.

4.  Router and/or routing software.

5.  Any other devices we should know about.

6.  Distances between devices.

David