Re: Decrease/increase XFS partitions

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 10:27:07AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 17 August 2016 10:00:50 Greg Wooledge wrote:

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:53:36AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 August 2016 09:12:40 Brian wrote:
> > You would advise using gparted to shrink an XFS partition in spite
> > of
> >
> > http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_Is_there_a_way_to_make_a_XFS_f
> >iles ystem_larger_or_smaller.3F
> >
> > saying it is not possible?
>
> No, I just assumed, incorrectly it seems, that zfs had a command
> structure similar to ext2-3-4.

XFS and ZFS are completely different things.

We have too many filesystem with similar names, can I plead that was a
typu?

XFS is a file system originating with SGI in 1993.  It's been in use
on Linux for years.  Largely considered stable.

ZFS is a file system originating with Sun in 2005.  I don't know
anyone who uses it.  Largely considered experimental/unfinished
outside of Solaris.

ISTR its (ZFS) a compressed filesytem?  Scary.

Z stood for Zettabyte (10**21), not zip. It does *support* compression (like NTFS does), but it is not a compressed filesystem (like cramfs is) per se.

Also, ZFS is about as stable as btrfs. It's suitable for everyday use, but not necessarily for mainstream use. It's seeing reasonably widespread use in NAS or SAN contexts.

--
For more information, please reread.