Re: Decentralized reliable instant messaging?

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:47:35AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> I'm looking for a decentralized instant message system (e.g. XMPP, SIP,
> >> ...) where I can be sure that I receive all messages, even if I'm not
> >> connected when the message is sent [ Obviously, I'll only receive them
> >> when I'm back online.  ]
> > I believe that's called "electronic mail" or "email".
>
> There's that, and there are SMS messages as well, indeed.
> But email is a lot more heavyweight and drowned in spam (e.g. most
> people don't get notified right away when they receive an email

I consider this an absolute pro not a con.
All os vendors seem that ADD is the way to go. Interrupting you with
benign nonsense every 10 seconds. No wonder that the average attention span
is ~ 2 seconds.

The only advantage of most messaging protocols is presence awareness.
In every other aspect e-mail is superior.

> message), and SMS is basically limited to cell-phone only (you can find
> services that let you send SMS messages from something like a SIP
> account, but I haven't found any corresponding service for the
> reception of SMS messages, except some that just drop the SMS message
> if the SIP delivery cannot be performed because you're not connected).
>

>         Stefan

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com