Re: i8042 controller not found

OK so I did the startx and the first time got nothing and the machine froze. So to make sure that my disks were not missing anything I downloaded a new set and re-burned them. I did the startx and this time I got a page full of blue with ( across the page. I had to use an adapter from DVI to hdmi since this machine only has HDMI slots and no place else for DVI or VGA. I checked the adapter and it was different from the female plug which were 8 holes each of three rows but the adapter had 3 two spaces and 3 prongs in three matching rows. I wonder if that could be the problem?