Re: (OT kinda) Newly-discovered TCP flaw

On Thursday 11 August 2016 11:55:56 Curt wrote:

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/3106180/security/use-the-internet-this-
>linux-flaw-could-open-you-up-to-attack.html?google_editors_picks=true
>
> Calling all experts: cause for concern?

I do not know if wheezy is/can be affected, however the fix promulgated
by the link to the UCR announcement is wrong, at least for my wheezy
install, in that when I investigated my machine, the dots in that
string:

net.ipv4.tcp_challenge_ack_limit = 999999999

to add should be changed to forward slashes:

net/ipv4/tcp_challenge_ack_limit = 999999999

as that is the directory structure on this wheezy based machine, and then
the following update command:

sysctl -p

works w/o error.  All done as root of course.

No clue if the fix works, I haven't been attacked that I am aware of.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)