Re: The DISPLAY variable.

    From: deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com>
    Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 21:12:53 +0200
> Screen and display are completely different things in different contexts.

I have one context.  A PC with a "Radeon 9600XT 256M V/D/VO" card.
It has one DVI connector and one VGA connector.

> If you have 1 graphic card you usually have 1 screen and one display, which
> would correspond to DISPLAY=:0.0 in X11 terminology.
> If you have some special card flavor or perhaps two cards you could have 2
> displays/screens.
>
> DISPLAY=:D.S
> D - display
> S - screen

Many documents explain that.  Appears that at some point,
the X11 designers intended a 1:1 correspondence between
screens and monitors.  Then more and more complications.

> In your case - if you want to put a program window somewhere, you should
> work with the position parameter(s) - xoff,yoff
>
> xeyes --help
>         [-geometry [{width}][x{height}][{+-}{xoff}[{+-}{yoff}]]]

Perfectly reasonable except that the program has no
--geometry parameter.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/multihead says,
> Screen refers to an X-Window screen (that is: a monitor attached to a display).

According to that, the Viewsonic here can be screen 0 and
the Panasonic can be screen 1.  Then executing
export DISPLAY=localhost:0.1 ; program
should always put the window on the Panasonic monitor.

Reasonable but no luck creating screen 1.

screen 0 extends rightward across the Viewsonic and then across
the Panasonic.  The program window is at (0,0) on the Viewsonic.
Not on the Panasonic.

Thanks for the reply,            ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel +1 360 639 0202