QEMU accessing VLAN

I've got a host with some QEMU virtual machines on it, the host did have just one IP address (untagged VLAN) on eth0, Ive now added a second IP on VLAN 2 (eth0.2). The host machine is working fine but a QEMU VM is not able to access anything on VLAN2.

Im using the default setup whereby QEMU provides NAT. Do I need to alter the VM config somehow. I was expecting it to pass packets up to the host and the host to recognise which interface it was for and route it out accordingly. Obviously Im missing something. Can anyone advise me please?

Regards

Andrew