Re: Help on investigating partition-related changes

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:29 AM Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
Le 09/08/2016 à 15:56, limpia a écrit :
> On 2016-08-09 00:45, Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>> Please don't top post. Ric
> Oops, sorry about that,...

Please don't bottom post without trimming either. It's just as nasty as
top post (or even nastier when you need to scroll down pages of quoted
text to read the one-line answer).

Consider interleaved style and adequate trimming instead.

Just one comment on trimming -- at least one very widely used email client doesn't co-operate with that (Google Inbox on mobile -- definitely on the iPhone version, possibly also on Android -- the desktop version is OK). It will pull up the mail, let you reply, let you remove the OP and leave the list in place if you remember to do so (which I am terrible at doing, but that's on me) but if you try to remove any of the quoted text from the mail you are replying to -- it simply won't let you do it. You can have all the quoted text or none of it.

There's a school of thought that you shouldn't monkey with quoted text in email replies because it becomes possible to isolate one clause, take it out of context, and then forward to a bunch of people and completely misrepresent what the mail being replied to was saying. That is typically less of a problem in the context of a mailing list like this than in, say, a corporate environment. I can only assume that it is with that in mind that Inbox behaves the way it does (but it could be a fair-and-square bug, because Inbox is inconsistent across platforms).

When I am on the road and replying to threads on this list, I do spare a thought for the reader with the amount of quoted text I can't get rid of -- but I would hope that most decent mail clients roll up the quoted text and let you unroll it if you want to read it -- Inbox certainly does.

Mark