Re: X dies after upgrade

Gareth de Vaux composed on 2016-08-07 13:12 (UTC-0400):

Hi all, I can't find any similar issues on this list - I upgraded my system
tracking debian testing yesterday but it's been awhile given by the Xorg
changelog at http://lordcow.org/Xorg.changelog.txt and now X doesn't start.

I installed xserver-xorg-legacy and added needs_root_rights=yes to
/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config just incase it was that. I tried creating an
xorg.conf and setting the driver to intel for older hardware as suggested
but this doesn't help. X seems to flash up for a split second but then
terminates. The unhelpful log is at http://lordcow.org/Xorg.0.log .

I'm getting nowhere trying different drivers and configs, does anyone
have an idea? Some specs:

from lspci -v:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

IMO, lspci misleads as to the "generation" of Intel gfx hardware, and the date your gfx was introduced, or the CPU die size, as listed on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets is a better indicator. NAICT from experience with hardware I have, Eaglelake is the earliest that can be counted on to work with the integral-to-server modesetting driver version, while your "2nd Generation Core" is newer. If I'm right about the identification, you needn't be trying to use the Intel driver, but instead should be able to use the server's integral modesetting driver.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/