Re: Problem with NON-STANDARD install

Pascal Hambourg composed on 2016-08-06 23:59 (UTC+0200):

Felix Miata:

Pascal Hambourg composed on 2016-08-06 12:01 (UTC+0200):

I misread what you wrote. If I knew how to edit or delete a list posting as is typically possible in forums, I would. It shouldn't have been written, much less sent. :-(

If the boot image is in a PBR, the BIOS won't load it directly

It will if the PBR is on a primary partition on the same disk.

On the same disk as what ?

Do you mean that the BIOS can load directly the boot sector of a primary
partition instead of the MBR ?

It's how
all my systems boot if I'm not using IBM Boot Manager as the primary
bootloader.

What do you call "IBM Boot Manager" ? Is it the boot manager used by
OS/2, or the generic/legacy boot code in the MBR used by MSDOS and
Windows, which loads the PBR of the primary partition with the boot flag ?

Also, what does your MBR contains ? Only the partition table, no boot
code at all ?

After reading your reply I made a quick test on three different PCs.
I installed a generic MBR boot code on a USB stick and checked that it
could boot on each PC and load the PBR of the primary partition with the
boot flag.
Then I erased the boot code (first 440 bytes in the MBR) with zeroes and
observed that the boot hanged on all my test PCs, so I concluded that
the BIOS still tried to load and execute the MBR because of the boot
signature at the end of the MBR. Then I also removed the boot signature
in the MBR and observed that the BIOS said the device was not bootable,
as expected.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/