Re: nosh and redo have moved

On Friday 05 August 2016 08:26:08 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Aug 2016, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 August 2016 19:34:44 Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> > > The whole sorry tale of why is on the new WWW site.  The upshot of
> > > it is that nosh and redo are in a new place.
> >
> > No, it does not offer any explanation of why you come in here with a
> > megaphone announcing these tools.  This list has not been privy to
> > any
>
> Gene, there is no need to be this aggressive.
>
> For the record, Pollard and "nosh" are known to debian-devel.
>
> > A better explanation does seem to be a reasonable request.
>
> Indeed it is a reasonable request, and it would still be one even if
> Pollard was known to debian-user, or if his post had been sent to
> debian-devel.
>

> "nosh" is an init-system, one that might end up being a good
> replacement for sysvinit for Debian/kFreeBSD in the future.  Maybe.
>
> I am not well versed on "redo".  It looks like a set of tools that
> occupies the same locus as "Make" (to build targets from source files,
> processing dependency-aware graphs to both order the build, and
> minimize work when not evertything changed).

That was my impression after visiting all the links Mr. Pollard posted.
But knowing the animosity that systemd has generated amongst the users
when it was forced down their throats, possibly a bit prematurely, I
came to the conclusion that the rest of the developers had exhibited
less than zero interest in yet another replacement for init.

And with redo targeted at the make users, even I might have some interest
in that. But if it changes the build environment in incompatible ways,
I'd have less interest.

ATM I bleed enough, although I am glad to do it, running the development
version of LinuxCNC on my 3 cnc machines, with a 4th one under
construction. But thats slow when, in order to finish making a part for
this Sheldon lathe which  although the bed seems in good shape, has
obviously been rode hard & put away wet over the last 64 years. So I am
replacing clapped out, made of pure unobtainium screws and nuts, with
modern ball screws which will be moved by LinuxCNC of coarse, but I have
to make every piece I need from fresh steel or brass since I've searched
diligently for some on this unobtainium without success. ;-)

And that has demanded gib upgrades to my existing small lathe so it can
cut finer threads more precisely.  And I have to write the G33 wrapper
software to do that. The final software is intended to be universally
shared, when its working as it will be an addition to LinuxCNC's
capabilities.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)