Re: (OT) Disable Secure Boot, et al

Le 05/08/2016 à 02:25, Patrick Bartek a écrit :
> Hi! All,
>
> Anyway to enter UEFI Firmware Setup on contemporary UEFI W8/10 notebooks
> without having to go through Windows?  That is, is there a keyboard
> combo, secret button or incantation whether or not a hard drive/OS is
> installed. As far as my research goes, there's not.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825112.aspx
The dual-boot HP little notebook I am using right now to answer your
question was factory installed with Windows 8, has migrated to Windows
10 and still enters at boot in UEFI management mode by pressing a Fn key
(probably F9, I don't remember)

> I'm looking to buy a new notebook to put a custom install of Linux on
> with as few problems as possible.  Which distro remains to be
> chosen, but it definitely WON'T be Ubuntu (I've always hated it) or
> SUSE or Fedora which I abandoned because of its 6 month release cycles
> and 13 month support.

If your only gripe with Fedora is the 6 months release circle, you could
be interested in CentOS which nowadays is essentially a Red Hat
trademark and their free-of-charge-with-no-support version of RHEL.
And an advantage of RHEL/CentOS from version 7 on, that could be
valuable to you, is its ability to boot in Secure Mode.