Intel DQ67SW motherboard, SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 128 GB flash drive, and Debian 7.11 amd64

debian-user:

I have a computer with an Intel DQ67SW motherboard running Debian with Xfce:

    2016-08-01 10:01:43 dpchrist@t7400 ~
    $ cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a
    7.11
    Linux t7400 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.81-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I use a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 16 GB flash drive as my system drive,
connected to the motherboard USB 3.0 port next to the Ethernet cable.
Everything seems to work okay.

If I connect a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 128 GB flash drive into the
other motherboard USB 3.0 port, the system malfunctions:

1.  The desktop malfunctions in unpredictable ways:

    a.  Sometimes I am able to open a terminal.  Commands in the
terminal malfunction.

    a.   If I attempt to start the file manager (Thunar), sometimes it
opens, sometimes not.  The Xfce desktop toolbar sometimes disappears,
other times it just locks up.

2.  If I try to SSH into the machine:

	2016-08-01 09:53:34 dpchrist@t7400 ~
	$ ssh i72600s
	dpchrist@i72600s's password:
	Permission denied, please try again.
	dpchrist@i72600s's password:
	-bash: /etc/profile: Input/output error
	-bash: /home/dpchrist/.bash_profile: Input/output error
	Connection to i72600s closed.

Any ideas?

David