Re: debian version ID

Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> writes:

> Given the many possible options[1] for that file's content, one would
> think there would be a way to get the extra detail in, maybe
> VERSION_ID=8 and VERSION="8.5 (Jessie)", or move "Jessie" to
> VERSION_CODENAME and put 8.5 as VERSION.

I don't understand what you're asking, then.

Are you claiming the current content of the file violates that standard?
If so, a bug report would be appropriate.

If not, are you asking about counter-factual “why wasn't it done some
other way”?

An obvious answer is “because choosing some particular single way
necessarily means the other ways are not chosen”. But you seem to be
wanting some non-obvious answer different from that.

--
 \         “We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!” |
  `\    —Vroomfondel, _The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy_, Douglas |