Re: off topic Question of the day..

On Sunday 10 July 2016 06:34:00 deloptes wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Anybody here got the magic incantation to keep it from shrinking the
> > image to unusability on the paper in the two front trays?
>
> I doubt it shrinks the image only when paper fed from specific tray.
> Perhaps you should think in the opposite direction - shrink the image
> to the paper size.
> The size of the printed image usually depends on the quality of the
> image (and the printer capability). Think of dpi on both sides.
> Therefore most print software offers options to influence this or
> autofit the paper size.
>
> regards

But no one is actually answering the question. Yesterday I had the
printer requester set for A3, no clue where the backport guides are set
because I cannot read black on black at the oblique angle the door is
allowed to open, so the guides are taped such as to allow 1/16" of slop
at the most. But today, I have feed the same sheet of paper thru it
about a dozen times without getting a single smudge of ink on it, AND
cup says the job sent was only 1 kilobyte, where yesterday evince was
sending 4.5 megabytes per printed page. So where the heck is that data
going, because its sure as hell not getting to the printer as anything
but a blank page.  I've rebooted now, and will take a look at any
suspect logs I can find.  Nothing there that relates to this.

Wikipedia agrees, tabloid is 11x17 portrait, ledger is 17x11 landscape.
But according to the other internet resources, 11x17 is a bastard
American only size.

The printer processor, the gui I get when I click "print" in evince
gives me tabloid only and landscape as a separate rotational option,
which because tabloid is normally two facing pages 17" high & 11" to the
crease, I had set to landscape since its 34" long and 29 or so high
coming out of inkscape as a .png. Posterazor makes a 6 page pdf out of
it.  Evince says the pages, 6 of them, are 15.82 × 9.82 inch so no
wonder it was cutting so much off the edges to get a registration of one
page to the next yesterday.

So here goes, evince loaded up one more time, cups options is set for
11x17, and I'll select tabloid/landscape for page 1.

Set "current page", scale 105%, tabloid, borderless, landscape.  page
scaling=none on the next tab, color is vivid, but no profile specified.

Click print, printer fires up, plays with paper for about 30 seconds,
spits out blank sheet of paper. The cup web page says the job was
completed and was 1k in size.

Two files on the system were updated yesterday after I printed the 8
pages I did, because 3 of the 8 missfed and lost some of the image. I
used one anyway.

Commit Log for Sat Jul  9 09:06:50 2016

Upgraded the following packages:
libicu48 (4.8.1.1-12+deb7u3) to 4.8.1.1-12+deb7u4
linuxcnc-uspace (1:2.7.4.138.g2ed2210) to 1:2.7.4.140.gb3ec66b

Says its International Components for Unicode
The last one isn't related. But what is the function of the first one?

And I just found this in the /var/log/cups/error_log
W [10/Jul/2016:08:15:43 -0400] Please move "SystemGroup lpadmin gene" on
line 2 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to the /etc/cups/cups-files.conf file;
this will become an error in a future release.
W [10/Jul/2016:08:15:43 -0400] Please move "Group sys" on line 3
of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to the /etc/cups/cups-files.conf file; this will
become an error in a future release.
W [10/Jul/2016:08:15:43 -0400] Please move "User lp" on line 4
of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to the /etc/cups/cups-files.conf file; this will
become an error in a future release.

So I did, but now its a total failure: bad edit, fixed.  And it still
doesn't work.  Acid test, print this email. Crashed kmail. Restarted,
mail was saved.

I think I may have it sussed. Up to now I could configure a given printer
with different options so I had my choices of single sided, duplex etc
available just by calling the correct printername.  In this case I had
prefixed the model number with the make name.  So one is set with the ID
of MFCJ6920DW, and the other is set to Brother_MFC_J6920DW, and the
first one has an 8.5x11 portrait default, and which from the cli using
lp, works as normal, so that idea just got flushed.

Next test, set both cups and this requester for A3, borderless, restart
cups, and try again. No marks or ink smudges on the paper.

for A3 borderless.  clipped about 1/4" of the image off what would have
been the left edge of the paper viewed from the rear input port, and at
least 2" of unused paper on the right edge and there isn't any way the
guidance of the paper was that bad.  Used about 15.75" of the length of
the paper with nearly equal borders.  Next, leave the cups config be,
and set the printer menu for tabloid, worked, no difference in the image
scaling, lots of right edge border to cut off like before.  One more
try, tabloid,borderless.  And again, no diff in the image scaling

Go set cups to tabloid, borderless and restart, no diff
Set 110% scale, is no go but printer doesn't say why. 105% worked but
clipped 1/2" off left (trailing end of paper).  With "auto-rotate and
center" turned back on, and scale to 103%, the borders are just about
right at about 3/8" all around.  Now all I have to do is concoct a tray
that has 2 pins to engage 2 holes in the edge of the door, exactly
centered 11" wide guides, so I can load a sheet of paper into
this "tray", insert the pins into the door to align it, and let a sheet
of paper slide straight down into the grippers so it doesn't get loaded
crooked 90% of the time.

Got that about half made, waiting for glue to set, might as well send
this.

Thanks for all who replied.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)