Re: reasons to ditch LILO before upgrading to jessie?

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016, at 16:33, Felix Miata wrote:

> All that's well and good, but I see nothing there that equates to my
> understanding of the meaning of "editing", which includes removal as well as
> appending.

Oh, I see what you're saying.  Well, the Linux kernel generally does it's own
overriding.  For example, if the kernel command line contains conflicting options,
such as "ro" and "rw", the last one supplied takes precedence.  There are some
exceptions.  For example, if the "console" parameter is specified twice, both
consoles are used.  But, strictly speaking, you're right.  LILO appends options
supplied on the command line to options specified in the "append" configuration
file statement, it does not replace them.

> What I'd like to find which I've had no luck with so far, is finding a Debian
> installer cmdline option to skip the waste of time that is installation of
> any bootloader. My disks get generic MBR code and Grub installed by me before
> any OS gets installed. Thus, I have no need to see warnings about blocklists
> and unreliability from installers trying to do what I don't want or need done

If you do the installation in expert mode, you can skip the step to install a
boot loader.  But that's in interactive mode.  I've never done an automated
installation, so I don't know what can and cannot be done in that environment.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@fastmail.com>
 : :'  :