Re: bash help please

On 06/09/2016 10:04 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> And I just amrecover'd a week old version that is working fairly well

On 06/09/2016 10:06 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 10 June 2016 00:00:12 David Christensen wrote:

If that doesn't help, post a complete script that demonstrates the
problem.

I might just take you up on that when I am ready to add another layer of
bulletproofing to it.  Its about 110 lines now.

Another layer and then debug/ test?  Yikes!

As one of the smartest people I knew put it: "Design from the top down, but build from the bottom up".

My software works best if I:

1.  Use a source code version control system and do frequent check-ins.

2. Divide the functionality into little pieces and test each piece individually, then test the first level up (assemblies of pieces), then the next layer up (assemblies of assemblies of pieces), and so on up to the top-level (user interface).

3. Automate as much as possible -- building, testing, installing, packaging, releasing, etc..

David

p.s. A digression -- while Bourne/ Bash shell have some very intriguing capabilities and both exist almost universally in FOSS realms, nothing has held my fascination since I discovered Perl. Perl does #2 very nicely and includes tools and frameworks for #3. (I use CVS for #1.)