Re: Linux startup, Wheezy -- a required script won't run on startup, but can run manually without any trouble

On Fri 10 Jun 2016 at 05:29:59 +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

> On 10/06/2016 5:24 AM, Brian wrote:
> > Otherwise, hobby-horses probably require a different venue. If you do
> > not have a problem please try to find somewhere which does not require
> > Debian support).
>
> As per the subject, required script will NOT run and in my message:
>
> <quote>
> My script is meant to create a log file in the /var/log directory.  If I
> run the script manually, it works perfectly.  There are some generic
> parts in the script, it is a fairly simple script, even if a little bit
> over complicated.  What do I need to do to fix it?
> </quote>
>
> Anyway, best to re-read the original message in full now... ;-)

Your premable was enough:

  In the Solaris world and most SYSV systems like it, there was a very
  simple startup system; it was not systemd, nor is it the "modern day
  sysvinit.  It was much simpler and worked very, very well and extremely
  reliably.  How can we get that back on modern Debian?

Is that the sort of introduction one expexts to see when technical help
is being sought. Stating a problem needn't start with a philosphical
statement.