Re: Some Flash news

Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.id.au> wrote:
> On 17/05/16 04:20, Erwan David wrote:

>> Problem is not the browser. Problem is sites/Appliances which require
>> it (eg. VMWare vcenter)

> VMWare are allegedly getting rid of their Flash dependence.

Well, kind of.

A new HTML5-based web client for vSphere is in development and will
probably be released with vSphere 6.5. But: The old, Flash-based web
client will still be around in 6.5.

And the older versions, like vSphere 5.5 are still widely used (because
6.0 has been riddled with serious and desastrous bugs, even 1.5 years
after relase).

As a vSphere Admin myself I will stick to vSphere 5.5 for the forseeable
future, because I want to sleep at night and not be worrying about what
might break right now because of the instability of 6.0 and I know of
countless others who will do the same.

Looking at http://www.virten.net/vmware/product-end-of-support-countdown/
vSphere 5.5 is supported until September 2018 and vSphere 6.0 is supported
until March 2020, so you can expect the need for Flash until at least then.

And if the integration of 3rd-party solutions into the new HTML5 client
is problematic, then you might as well wait until 2023 to finally get
rid of Flash.

Yes, that is 7 years from now.

Grüße,
Sven.