Re: enable telnetd?

Felix Miata wrote:
> Dan Purgert composed on 2016-06-02 19:57 (UTC):
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> I have no interest in answers explaining ssh and security risk. These are
>>> understood. All I'm interested in is capturing dmesg and logs from a test
>>> installation while normal logins are busy with segfaulting or otherwise
>>> inaccessible.
>
>> well, if /dev/tty# is shot because segfaulting (or otherwise
>> inaccessible), I wouldn't expect telnetd to help there any (unless
>> telnet uses a different pool of ttys).
>
> Actually I would expect it to use a different "pool", but this is not a
> subject I know more than a trifle about.

Same here :(

> [snip]
> IOW, current need is past, but I'd still like to know what's wrong and
> get it fixed for a possible next time.

Good that you found / fixed the problem.

>> Would a serial console (i.e. /dev/ttyS0) suit your needs?
>
> Probably not well, something yet else to configure that I haven't
> needed to do in more than two decades, another cable to locate and
> connect, and likely for a one time only use. Or can serial connection
> be shared over existing ethernet?

No, serial connections are via serial ports, and won't traverse ethernet
networks (though you could probably get ethernet -> serial modems if you
really wanted to).  I have enough random network hardware that uses
serial consoles between my desk (a.k.a. "test bench") and my main
network kit, that adding in a serial null-modem cable for the server was
'no big deal' - just some config changes in /etc/inittab, and running
out to Microcenter.

After having more than a few occasions where something was mis-behaving
sufficently to *require* serial console access (thanks buggy router
flash media), it's becoming one of those things that I look for now, and
will spend extra money to get.  Sure, I might only use it once or twice
ever in the lifetime of the product (this being "at home" and all) ...
but it's cheap insurance.

--
Registered Linux user #585947
Github: https://github.com/dpurgert