Re: enable telnetd?

Sven Arvidsson composed on 2016-06-02 20:59 (UTC+0200):

On Thu, 2016-06-02 at 00:48 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

Google cannot provide an answer to configuring telnetd WRT Debian, only WRT
every other distro on the planet. When I try to login after installing
telnetd and seeing xinetd enabled, login name is always greeted with "Login
incorrect". Telnet login works in openSUSE and Fedora via /etc/pam.d/remote,
but that file is missing in Stretch, and copying one from openSUSE doesn't
have any apparent effect.

I have no interest in answers explaining ssh and security risk. These are
understood. All I'm interested in is capturing dmesg and logs from a test
installation while normal logins are busy with segfaulting or otherwise
inaccessible.

Does logging in through telnet not work at all, or just not as root?

Failure differs. With login root, password entry is not offered. With other user, password entry is offered, but is "incorrect".

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/