Re: Trouble getting posted

On Sunday 10 April 2016 03:40:26 Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> On 10/04/2016 2:14 AM, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net
> > <mailto:gary719_list1@verizon.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     I have tried to post a couple of things in the last few days with no
> >     results. My posts never show up. So this is another test.
> >
> > Is it possible that your email client is not showing your post in your
> > inbox until it gets a reply? Gmail does that (annoyingly).
>
> That's just threading.
>
> What you see when you get a reply is the "conversation" or linked list
> of emails that refer backwards to earlier ones.
>
> I think gmail just has a bucket of emails, then tags on each one to show
> which folder(s) the email is shown in.

No.  That is  not correct.  At least, it is correct as far as it goes, but it
completely misses the point.  If one uses Gmail's POP3 facility, it does not
allow you download copies of emails you sent - to mailing lists etc. - in the
list, in the thread to which they belong.  You will see that although I use
Gmail's POP3 facility, I do not use the Gmail SMTP for mailing list emails
precisely because of this.  I use Zen's SMTP server.  I like getting my
emails in the list in the proper place in the thread.

Gmail's "conversations" are not threading, and break threads for threading
email clients.

Lisi