Re: Repeated failure of install of Jessie

On Thursday 31 March 2016 18:24:35 Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Yup, of course! I can see that based on your information "Giga-Byte
> GA-H110M-S2H" Henrique has provided more help and it may be
> bleeding-ege hardware issues.  Let's see how that goes when you get
> back from your trip, I guess. :-)

re-flash was so easy I couldn't quite believe it.  I had a look at the BIOS,
and left the optimised defaults I had been told to ask for alone.

(tl:dr - or too incoherent - go to end)
Then I started the installation.  It went fine up to partitioning.  I could
find no way of persuading it to let me have a gpt scheme instead of what was
there - i.e. totally reformat the drive.  I chickened out and ran back to
Knoppix and Gparted.  Simply wiped it clean and reset it to gpt instead of
dos.  Then back to the installer.  Apart form very slight hiccups due to my
never having done a gpt partition scheme before all went swimmingly and the
installation was easy and incident free.

But once I started using it, life got harder.  I  installed Firefox (Debian
version) and Google Chrome, went onto YouTube and started to try and turn
sound on.  Everything froze.  Managed finally to persuade the keyboard to let
me into tty4.  Shut down everything that mentioned google and suddenly found
myself at the GUI log-in screen.  I logged in, tried to shut down, went in
various circles (GUI/login screen/tty), finally managed to shut down.  When I
started again the ps2 mouse won't work.  Nor will another ps2 mouse.  A USB
mouse will work, but this is a new motherboard. :-(

My attempts to get sound working also have bourne no fruit.  *everything* in
alsamixer is at maximum.  I have tried setting alsamixer to both the sound
cards it offers.  But pavucontrol stubbornly continues to insist on using
HDMI.  My husband asked why I didn't just use HDMI.  Answer:  I haven't got
an HDMI monitor.  :-(

So:  my mouse doesn't work, although it had been working initially, the sound
doesn't work.  But Debian installed this time.  It would be nice if it were
usable!!

Lisi