Re: Disk too full?

On 2016-04-05 22:07 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> Filesystem                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>>> rootfs                       323M  189M  117M  62% /
>> This is the problem.  The root filesystem is too small, so you will not
>> be able to install or upgrade a Debian kernel.  This is a bug[1] in the
>> automatic partitioner that only got fixed in Jessie.
>> There's no easy way out here, my choice would probably be to make a
>> backup and repartition the disk.
>
> Can't he just create a suitably sized /boot partition to relieve the /
> partition of badly needed space for the /lib/modules subdirectory?

This might free just enough space for the time being, but in the long
run it is not going to suffice because of the ever growing size of the
kernel.

A possible long term solution is to move the kernel modules to
/usr/lib/modules and make /lib/modules a symlink to /usr/lib/modules.
This requires that /usr is mounted by the initramfs.

Cheers,
       Sven