Re: Repeated failure of install of Jessie

On Saturday 02 April 2016 05:11:43 David Wright wrote:
> Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >On Tuesday 29 March 2016 23:55:33 Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >> look in the directories on cdimage.debian.org for the
> >> signed checksums alongside the images:
> >
> >I'm very grateful for everything the dds do, honestly.  But please, now
> > that you help the blind a little, could you not start to remember the
> > partially sighted?
> >
> > > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firm
> > >ware
> >>
> >>/archive/8.2.0/amd64/iso-cd/ (8.2.0 in the archive)
> >>
> >> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmw
> >>are /8.3.0/amd64/iso-cd/ (8.3.0, the current stable release)
> >
> >This information is not available on the website.  It is gold-dust.  The
> >website has a hyperlink that says "AMD64"
> >https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/
> >
> ><rant>
> >Yes, it says that the check-sums are available.  It says that they are in
> > the same directories.  It doesn't say where and what those directories
> > are.  It just has flipping hyperlinks that don't go to the directories,
> > which would be fine, they just go straight into downloading.
>
> Yes, it does annoy me that the link doesn't warn you of that.
> I don't know how you browse so this might not help you, but here
> is what I do:
>
> After navigating to the page with the ISO link (either from Debian
> home page or directly by googling something like   debian installer   )
> I take care not to left-click on the link, but instead right-click and
> select Copy Link Location.

That appeared to do nothing, so I tried everything else offered.  The
three "Open link <something-or-other>" all produced 404s, "Save link as"
downloaded, "Inspect" opened the relevant section of HTML, with the relevant
line highlighted.  Bingo!  Success!  Thank you, David.  That's a big help.

But  a hyperlink to the checksums or a clear offering on the website would be
still better.  I'm all right now, Jack, but what about everybody else?

Lisi