Re: Modified Rapture<g>, and a new question

Op Sat, 02 Apr 2016 19:46:09 +0200 schreef Alan McConnell <alan@his.com>:

Well, I finally got my Jessie installed! I had to pick a different kernel than then one suggested, but things finally went through. I was even able to use the partitions I had
prepared and carefully sized.

My question: how do I install "new" SW? E.g. emacs, and mutt, and ImageMagick? These are not found on the one CD I have. I have in addition a thumb drive, which came with my purchase from LinuxCollections. I have mounted it and find that it is chock full of .deb files. I suppose there is some way of 'manually' copying a particular .deb to my disk and then installing it. But I am afraid of getting stuck in "dependency
hell".  Does someone here also have the same CD + thumb drive situation.

TIA,

Alan

I think it is possible to use the thumb drive as a local repo. Does the drive have a directory with the following sub-directories?
dists, pool, indices and doc

Insert and mount the drive and take a note of the location. For example /media/USER_NAME/usb_drive
Add a line in /etc/apt/sources.list

deb file:/media/USER_NAME/usb_drive/dir_which_have_the_sub_dirs jessie main contrib non-free

Tell apt you have new packages as root with:
apt-get update

Install the software you want with:
apt-get install emacs

success,