Re: Contemplating new MFC color laser printer purchase

In general, laser is the way to go. However inkjet still rules for printing photos and printing directly onto discs. There are also specialty printing, such as large formats, where you would have a tough time finding lasers.

I tend to stay away from Brother myself for the same reason you found. I like Epson, HP and Samsung in general but found that my Epson XP-820 doesn't have Linux support for printing directly to discs. To make matters worse, it doesn't recognize jpegs created with The GIMP so I can't even use the front panel controls to do the printing.

However every other aspect of it works great with Linux, including scanning.