Re: X hangs due to 'render ring' issue after suspend/closed lid

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 21:36:31 +0200
From: Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>

On Tue, 2016-03-29 at 19:54 +0100, Alle Meije Wink wrote:
> I am running Jessie on a toshiba laptop with these specs
> Hardware: i7 5500u
> Graphics: Intel HD graphics 5500
> Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u4 (2016-02-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I had to turn of power saving options (the screen can still be blanked
> after a few minutes but hibernate etc is out of the question) because
> after waking up from s suspended session/hibernation, the keyboard and
> mouse are completely unresponsive. The screen is partly restored (some windows
> are semi-transparent for effect) and I cannot go to single-user mode via
> key presses either.

The very short answer is that new hardware tends to require new software.
That makes sense - although I thought that this card had been around for a while.
I looked at this question before posting here http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/207855 (from June last year)
Followed all the leads there but my drivers were already as recent as that.

Try upgrading to new kernel/Xorg driver/mesa. (You might want to try out using a live cd/usb first).
I did try kernel 4 (via backports) but that broke other things, and it did not fix the problem.

You might also need new microcode updates, I'm not sure if they are pushed for the updates for jessie.
Don that now, by using apt-get install intel-microcode

The same thing goes for bug reports, if you can't reproduce the problem with the latest software they tend to not be very interested.
What same thing? I'm just trying to figure out what causes this hanging / if anyone knows a solution.
It may not be a bug -- if I can solve it by using backports, switching to testing or installing proprietary drivers then I'm more than happy to give it a go :)

bw Alle Meije