Re: Repeated failure of install of Jessie

On Wednesday 30 March 2016 16:17:29 Alan McConnell wrote:
> [...]

Unfortunately, Alan, all those who have not had any problems assume PEBKAC.
You know that you didn't do anything stupid.  I know that I didn't do
anything stupid.  But the result was stupid.  Ergo we must have. :-/

Only one or two people are taking that attitude though.  I have had some
useful help.  Most people on this list are helpful.  If you like Debian, you
won't like Ubuntu.  Perhaps try an expert installation, accepting the
defaults where possible and taking notes at every stage, as has been
suggested?  Someone may then be able to help you.

Is it remotely possible that your computer/motherboard has chosen this moment
to go in the blink?

And might I suggest that you try what worked for me on the other machine I had
a lot of trouble with last week.  What you did has worked for me and for many
in the past.  It is not working for either of us now.  Let's assume PEBKAC to
keep everyone happy, but still for the sake of sorting things out:  Get hold
of a Live CD.  I would happily send you one, but I am on the other side of
the pond and am about to go away, so out would take a bit of time.  But if
you don't mind waiting, send me your snail-mail address off list.

Once you have your live CD, check that the machine does still appear to be
working.  Then use Gparted to clean the disk up properly.  You say that it is
too late for backups.  Then try again, but do a normal installation using the
defaults, and see what happens.  Good luck.  It worked for me last week.
(All logic says that it shouldn't make any difference - but it worked.)

Cheers,
Lisi