Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Wed 23 Mar 2016 at 20:31:31 +0000, Brian wrote:

>   pdl=application/octet-stream,image/urf"
>
> PDFs will not print. I own up to spreading misinformation if I implied
> they would.

I stated that an iOS device sends PDFs and then went on to deduce that the
printer performs some conversion to something the printer can print. As
you said

  > So you appear to be saying that what passes through the AirPrint
  > wire or wifi link is a PDF. The printer then converts it to BUL,
  > then raster.

You were right to prod me because the statement about PDFs definitely
being passed from device to printer in all circumstances is incorrect.
The deduction is also false.

Suppose the printer advertises

  pdl=application/vnd.hp-PCL,application/pdf.image/jpeg,image/urf

as mime types it accepts. In that case the printer is a PDF printer and
it will print a PDF directly sent to it. image/urf is an obligatory mime
type for AirPrint. So what does an iOS application send? My guess is
that the application knows it can send application/pdf or image/urf and
sends application/pdf because it is first in the list. The PDF is
rasterised on the printer.

If

  pdl=application/vnd.hp-PCL,image/jpeg,image/urf

there is only the choice of image/urf. urf is a raster format which will
be rasterised to the printer's language on the printer.

Having stressed the importance of Bonjour broadcasts a few times I went
on (in pursuit of solving a problem) to ignore the role they play on the
client side.