Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Fri 18 Mar 2016 at 13:03:52 (+0000), Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 18 March 2016 12:55:26 Jarle Aase wrote:
> > Den 11. mars 2016 19:36, skrev Lisi Reisz:
> > > I have been reading this thread a bit at a time.  I am bemused.  Why, if
> > > you want life simple, and Free, etc., go for an AIO, which are
> > > notoriously troublesome?  Why not go for a simple Brother laser printer?
> > > (If you want Brother.)
> >
> > Actually, I need scanning more frequently than I need printing. The
> > scanner works perfectly without any proprietary software on my PC. I
> > have still not printed anything.
>
> So have two separate objects?  That is what I do - because I like a simple
> life.

Scanning is pretty easy nowadays, I find. Years ago it was the other
way. With PDF printers, printing was straightforward. Scanning meant
putting the paper on the machine, pressing the button, then clicking
some buttons on the attached computer to accept the file, repeating
all that over and over, then converting the files from some
proprietary rubbish into something I could actually use. When it
worked. (Scanners were very unreliable, frequently broken, often in
use by someone else.)

Now, most scanners can scan to a stick in various formats. Though I
*can* drive the scanner from a computer, what's the point. Somebody's
got to feed the machine, even if it's only loading the ADF.
I have found it possible to get scans off the stick from the computer
(without taking it out of the scanner), but I don't usually bother.

Fortunately this scanner works even when the ink has run out, unlike
the k0d*k abomination we once had.

Cheers,
David.