Re: Further to my installation error

Brian composed on 2016-03-16 19:21 (UTC):

On Tue 15 Mar 2016 at 22:41:14 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

Pity it took me until it tried to use CD1 to do a net-install to realise
that!!  And I have now run out of writable CDs. :-(  I had just enough for
this shenanigans!

Why any Debian user should use an antiquated technology to install is
beyond me. USB sticks are two a penny. Isohybrid images rule; OK!

USB sticks, being of a non-uniform variety of sizes, shapes, speed, and reliability, are a pain to library. Inferior amount of space on which to write on them contributes to the library problem. Pricing of USB sticks on a per device basis remains much higher than OM, making creation of a single device for single purpose generally much more expensive than OM. There still exist working puters that cannot boot USB. I have several.

Not that I routinely burn OM to install Linux. For that I usually don't burn anything, instead installing by loading an installation kernel and initrd with an already installed bootloader. HTTP installation means up-to-date at the outset.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/