Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Wed 09 Mar 2016 at 08:28:42 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 08:41:55PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > On Tue 08 Mar 2016 at 20:28:18 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > > Similar to what Gene mentioned, I've seen printers which want a CTRL-Z
> > > at the end of the job; the output filter would usually take care of
> > > that.
> >
> > Which output filter are you referring to? Take note: the OP is adamant
> > about not using the Brother lpr filter.
>
> There's always an output filter in the chain. How else do you think
> the info in the ppd gets injected into the print job (given a PS
> printer)? Where do you think ghostscript is doing its magic converting
> the pdf into PCL or whatever exotic language the printer listens
> to?

There is a minimum of two filters in a CUPS filtering chain. The filter
takes an input and produces an output for the next filter. If we have
more filters each of them has an output. Please will the real output
filter stand up. :)

If by "output filter" you mean the last filter in the chain it would
have reduced my curiosity if it had been named. I thought my question
implied that; but perhaps not.

By the way, even non-Postscript printers have PPD options injected into
the printing stream. (Also, the last filter in a chain is always the
backend filter).